Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Iconoclassic Records

New release info from reissue label Iconoclassic Records.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
@GDMonline
Site Administrator

Rick Springfield - Springfield

So anyway, this passed my email this morning, a previous unreleased album by Rick Springfield going back to 1975. Originally earmarked for release by CBS Records, it never got off the ground as CBS thought it was too hard rock for the time. They expected a day-glo summery piece of pop similar to David Cassidy but instead got something akin to Rex Smith, albeit two years earlier. Consequently, 'Springfield' was never released.

Moving ahead 48 years later, Iconoclassic Records has picked up the tab to release it, with vast liner notes and an essay prepared by power pop maven Ken Sharp.

==

Lost Lost Rick Springfield Album Unvaulted
Previously unreleased vintage Rick Springfield studio album!
Plus rare single sides for first time on CD worldwide
Unheard bonus live versions of 8 of the album tracks, introduced by the legendary Wolfman Jack
16 of 21 tracks previously unissued
20-page full color booklet includes unseen photos and memorabilia
5000-word liner notes essay by Ken Sharp includes new commentary from Rick Springfield plus the contributing musicians and his then-manager, and full track by track discussion
Digitally remastered from the original master tapes by Vic Anesini

Rick Springfield seemed to be on a fast track to stardom by 1974. He had it all: a batch of well-crafted commercially viable songs, a great voice, muscular musicianship and striking good looks. After scoring with 1972’s “Speak to the Sky” single, he assembled his first solo band and hit the road in pursuit of his dreams.

"It was a hedonistic couple of months of rock and roll and partying and no parents,” remembers Springfield. “Songs came out of all that fire and sexual angst of being 25 and being on your own.”

But when Rick delivered his completed Springfield album to Columbia Records, the label balked. Its hard rock sound and suggestive lyrics flew in the face of the pink and perky bubblegum sound they expected. “The album confused them,” explains Rick. “It wasn’t anything that was palpable to a teen audience."

"They were expecting a David Cassidy record and then we send them this screaming, hard-edged rock record with heavy guitars and sexual lyrics.”

In early ’75, the Springfield album was officially shelved.

For almost 50 years, Springfield has sat in the vaults...until now. Produced for release by Iconoclassic Records president Jeremy Holiday and New York Times Best Selling author Ken Sharp, who previously collaborated on the 2 CD Written in Rock: Rick Springfield Anthology, the 25th Anniversary Edition CD reissue of Working Class Dog, and the book A Year in the Life of a Working Class Dog, among other projects, Springfield finally takes its rightful place in Rick's catalog, remastered from the original tapes and bolstered with previously unheard live performances.

“I was very behind the record when we did it,” reflects Springfield. “I thought it was a great step forward from where people had positioned me at that point. Lyrically, there were some cool moments to it and considering it was the ’70s, it was very contemporary and strong musically and the band I had at the time was really good.”

Springfield is OUT NOW on CD from Iconoclassic Records.

Springfield
1. Trash
2. Call The Fire Brigade
3. Eleanor Rigby *
4. Child Within *
5. Beethoven Street
6. Sukaya
7. Sweet Teezer
8. Pearly And Me
9. American Girls *
10. Elektra

Bonus Tracks
11. Streakin’ Across The U.S.A. *
12. Music To Streak By *
Live at Northwest Speedway, Post Falls, Idaho, 1974
13. Wolfman Jack Introduction
14. Music To Streak By
15. Trash
16. Call The Fire Brigade
17. Sukaya
18. Eleanor Rigby
19. American Girls
20. Elektra
21. Beethoven Street

All Tracks Previously Unreleased, except *

Link: https://www.ccmusic.com/springfield/196588011528

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
@GDMonline
Site Administrator